Adding my same-sex partner to my family account in Korean Airlines SkyPass

Several Asian airlines (Korean, Singapore, ANA, others?) only let you redeem miles for tickets for yourself and for certain family members. Until now, I've never had to actually attempt a family redemption. I'd seen a few online guides with scary tales of "you MUST fax this form to..." and "please allow 4-6 weeks for processing" and so I'd sorta steered clear of it. But I'm booking a trip to Korea right now and so it was time to bite the bullet. I was especially nervous about doing it because I'm in a same-sex marriage and I wasn't sure if Korean Air's policies/IT infrastructure would let me designate another man as my spouse. I've talked to a lot of other LGBT travelers who end up with concerns like this and I thought I'd put this out there for anyone who might be wondering the same thing I was.

LONG STORY SHORT: It worked just fine, and it took less than 48 hours

I was completely new to Korean air, so my husband and I both had to create new accounts on Koreanair.com. Once that was finished:

  1. Make sure you have a GIF/JPG/PDF of your marriage certificate that's less than 6MB handy
  2. Log In
  3. Click My Dashboard
  4. Click My Family
  5. Click Add a Member
  6. Under the Apply Online section, click Add A Member
  7. Enter their information, attach the file, and then click Submit
The confirmation screen says "1 - 2 weeks" but I got an email confirmation a day and a half later. I've not tried this with a Domestic or Civil Partnership, or anything else for that matter. It's literally a datapoint of one, but I'm assuming it'll go as well for people in similar situations. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding and collecting Japanese Railway station stamps

Where to find TOTO Washlets outside of Japan

Southern Vermont's Frog Meadow Farm – a perfect getaway